In my previous blog I spoke of bringing Mary home because the maintenance backlog was exceeding holiday expectations. Well that kind of thing. So now Mary is in Suffolk Yacht Harbour under her lovely cover with the expectation that I address the backlog, so lets crack on...
The bubble is fine due to my efforts in Bosa..
I must admit it is nice to be able to take a day off because it promised to be sunny and spend it in said sun. The first job is to seal the rubbing strakes, they are already suffering and the remaining varnish (or whatever it was) actually holds water against the strake.
So I used a heat gun to get rid of the bulk of it, carefully using a sheilding tip that would keep the heat off the hull. Then used stripper to take off the rest. Then I sanded it, hopefully lightly.
Now I had fanciful ideas of using Awlwood MA here as it is the most exposed, and not completely covered by the cover. However the weather was coming in and I cannot stick to the timescales required by the high tech product. So I ended up with epifanes varnish.
It needs a few more coats but I am happy the wood is sealed now. Just need to do the other side... Notice the use of the wrong colour filler, oops. Also, I think, because the lower hull (blue) had been 'west systemed' the paint came away alot easier than the white. Some of this particularly around the chain plate was bubbling so I am glad to back that back to solid paint, but luckly no rot.
I have also fitted a victron BMV 700 battery monitor as I had lots of problems with batteries and am not sure what the contribution of the solar panel was also I now have a fridge to run. I chose this because of its unobtrusive compact size. I like this job because it is pure messing about more than hard graft and the terminating cables with eyes and laying them out neatly puts the world to rights in its own way.
Lets hope the weather holds out long enough.
Add a Comment